Picking the right boarding school can be a bewildering experience for parents. Some schools are highly academic, others are good for children with learning disabilities and some are great for sports. Educational consultant Tory Dodge has helped parents on the Island through the process for years through her company, Schools to Know. Ms Dodge, who lived in Bermuda for ten years but has recently moved to New Hampshire, organises two boarding school fairs here each year. “As an … [Read More...]
BOARDING SCHOOL FAIR IN BERMUDA
Dear Participants Past and Future, March, 2014
Thank you to all of the schools who joined us last fall for our 20th year of hosting these fairs in Bermuda. They were very well attended events and I hope those of you who joined us found it productive and fun!
1. The basic format for the fairs this fall will remain the same with the exception of a change in venue. With major renovation going on at the Hamilton Princess Hotel, we were left with few options for an event this size, so we chose to use the Southampton Princess Hotel. This is my favorite hotel in Bermuda and I am sure you will find the location and amenities exceptional.
The fair will be held on Wednesday and Thursday nights, September 24 & 25, in The Mid-Ocean Amphitheater. The area will be open for setting up at 3:30 PM with the fair opening at 4:30 PM and ending at 8:00 PM.
2. The event will be advertised on local Internet sites, posters will go up all over the island and all of the schools will be notified. It will be advertised on the radio and in the local newspapers. The more info that finds it was to social media the better, so please feel free to post your own notices on your various sites. I can send you a formal invitation to post upon request. And of course the infamous bumper stickers!
3. My UK affiliate, Niall Browne, will be joining us again this year with fifteen select British Boarding Schools. We are planning a joint reception after Wednesday night’s even for you all to mix and mingle.
Niall has agreed to publish the parent guide as he did last year. The information form for this will be sent to you upon receipt of your registration. Many of you will have already done this for last year’s guide so only minor updates will be necessary.
4. The other change for this year is that I will only be hosting the one event to which all schools are invited. There will be clearly designated areas for the British Boarding Schools, Traditional American Schools and for American Boarding Schools that offer instructional support. In the past I had held a second fair for the latter group, several weeks after this one but with the location being out of town it didn’t make sense to ask parents to go out of their way twice.
Wednesday and Thursday – Sept. 24 & 25 – 4:30 – 8:00 PM
- Traditional American Boarding Schools
- Traditional British Boarding Schools
- American Boarding Schools with Instructional Support
The fee of $800 per school covers exhibit space, printed materials, name tags, table signs and additional signage for the two evenings including your listing in the parent guide & the cocktail reception on Weds. Evening. school.
Click here to Register online
Southampton Princess Hotel Group rate is $239/night plus tax and gratuities. Our event code and a list of alternative accommodations will be emailed to you upon receipt of your registration.
I hope you can join us.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance at all. 603-496-5907 or email: email@example.com
Tory Dodge – Schools to Know
Schools to Know is a consulting and placement service available in the United States and Bermuda, designed to guide students and their families in making the important choices of:
- Traditional Boarding Schools – college preparatory schools for grades 9-12, PG.
- Junior Boarding Schools – boarding schools for the younger child – ages 8-15.
- Specialized Boarding Schools and Programs.
- Day Schools Placements in the USA.Post Secondary / Young Adult Programs.
- GAP Year – Enrichment Experiences.
- Summer Camp and Enrichment Experience.
Placement Services Include:
- Extended interviews with parents and students to assess needs and interests.
- Evaluation of academic records and any previous testing (academic and psychological).
- Referrals for further testing if needed.
- Communications with potential schools – student summary provided.
- Proposal of suitable schools list.
- Guidance through the admission process.
- Assistance with school appointments and lodging.
- Ongoing contact with schools.
- Follow up for up to one year.
Additional Services Include:
- Study skills tutorials.
- High School and College application process.
- College essay.