Picking the right boarding school can be a bewildering experience for parents. Some schools are highly academic, others are good for children with learning disabilities and some are great for sports. Educational consultant Tory Dodge has helped parents on the Island through the process for years through her company, Schools to Know. Ms Dodge, who lived in Bermuda for ten years but has recently moved to New Hampshire, organises two boarding school fairs here each year. “As an … [Read More...]
Dear Admissions Departments, March 2013
Thank you to all of the 75 schools who joined us last fall for both our 19th annual fairs. They were very well attended events and I hope those who joined us found it productive and fun!
- After many years of advertising on the local Internet sites, radio and newspaper advertising, I have decided that social media is another if not the way to market our event. Feel free to post your own notices on your various sites. If you prefer, I will send you a more formal invitation upon receipt of your registration.
- Collaborative events draw the biggest crowds and for the September fair I have invited my UK affiliate, Niall Browne, to join us in an adjacent room with his group of UK schools. His group will be much smaller than ours. It will be interesting to learn how they market their programs and what they have to offer. I hope that we can all get together for a preconference social event so that you can meet them.
- The hotel is now under new ownership and is now called The Hamilton Princess Hotel. They are no longer part of the Fairmont group. The only impact on our group will be cost. They are charging much more for the meeting room rentals, set up fees, internet and parking. I have had to increase the fee to $700 to cover this increase.
Group Hotel rates will be sent to participants along with the specifics of the event upon receipt of their registration. Registration links below.
International Boarding School Fair:
Traditional College Preparatory Boarding Schools – USA
Wednesday & Thursday Evenings – September 25 & 26, 2013 4:30 PM to 7:30 PM
Fair for Boarding Schools that offer Additional Academic Support:
For younger students (ages 8 – 15) or for students with specific language based learning differences, non-verbal learning differences (organizational issues), distractibility or who are underachieving for a variety of reasons (ages 14 -21.)
Wednesday & Thursday Evenings – October 9 & 10, 2013 4:30 to 7:30 PM
Schools to Know is a consulting and placement service available in the United States and Bermuda, designed to guide students and their families in making the important choices of:
- Traditional Boarding Schools – college preparatory schools for grades 9-12, PG.
- Junior Boarding Schools – boarding schools for the younger child – ages 8-15.
- Specialized Boarding Schools and Programs.
- Day Schools Placements in the USA.Post Secondary / Young Adult Programs.
- GAP Year – Enrichment Experiences.
- Summer Camp and Enrichment Experience.
Placement Services Include:
- Extended interviews with parents and students to assess needs and interests.
- Evaluation of academic records and any previous testing (academic and psychological).
- Referrals for further testing if needed.
- Communications with potential schools – student summary provided.
- Proposal of suitable schools list.
- Guidance through the admission process.
- Assistance with school appointments and lodging.
- Ongoing contact with schools.
- Follow up for up to one year.
Additional Services Include:
- Study skills tutorials.
- High School and College application process.
- College essay.